In the shadows of unbearable tragedy, an unlikelykilling machine begins a one-man war tobring a city to its knees — a battle that will touchthe lives of its eight million citizens including:
- a writer on the verge of a breakthrough
- a charismatic ex-police commissioner — and the inside choice for the next mayor — on the edge of a breakdown
- a beautiful, sophisticated art dealerplumbing the depths of her own fiercesexuality
- a defense attorney who prefers murdertrials because there’s one less witness
- an ex-addict who has turned being cleaninto a living, mopping up after New York’snightlife
Pulsating with the lives of its denizens — bartenders and hookers, power brokers andpoliticos, cops and secretaries, editors anddreamers — Lawrence Block's electrifying newnovel reveals the small town at the heart of theBig Apple in all its power, terror, and starkbeauty.